Fait Accompli is the 7th episode of Season 5 of Alias, and the 95th episode overall. Sydney and APO attempt to discover whom Gordon Dean is working for and what their end game is. Meanwhile, when the group, claiming to have a cure for his daughter Nadia, continues to play mind games with him, Sloane struggles for control.
A very pregnant Sydney chats with a university chancellor in Rome while Renee Rienne tries to break into the building's underground storage facility. Sydney feigns exhaustion and asks for a glass of water, affording her the chance to steal and duplicate one of his key. She sends the template to Renee electronically. Renee soon finds Dean's package - and another man about to steal it. She kicks his butt, grabs it and meets Sydney outside.
In her apartment, Sydney discusses with Rachel the mysterious keycard that is meant for one port among billions. Delivery men arrive with Sydney's baby's crib yet to be assembled. She sadly reveals to Rachel how she envisioned this moment to be very different from what had turned out. She leaves the crib disassembled.
After Sloane receives word from Nadia's doctor that she has no hope for recovery, he gets a call from Gordon Dean demanding his keycard. Later, Sloane apologizes and confesses to Jack and Sydney that he had been working with Dean. When Jack asks him what changed his mind, Sloane admits that he was hoping that Dean could help find a cure for Nadia. Now that he knows she's untreatable, he is more than willing to help them bait Dean with the keycard.
In a racetrack at Dubai, Tom and Dixon take out Dean's men while Sloane hands Dean the keycard. Suspicious, he takes Sloane hostage. The APO team loses track of them when the track's PA system jams their transmissions.
Rachel finds them in an empty stable and knocks Dean unconscious with a shovel. When Sydney interrogates him, he says the keycard will grant them access to his anonymous boss' communication hub. After revealing that the card will expire in 12 hours, Dean offers to work with them in exchange for immunity and protection. Sydney injects him with a drug to encourage him to talk more freely.
Meanwhile, Sloane meets with a man named Ehrmann, who asks him to eliminate Dean. Sloane refuses. On cue, Sloane's receives a phone call regarding Nadia's condition. He arrives at the hospital to see Nadia waking from her five-month coma. She begins convulsing, however, and must be injected with a sedative and returns to her comatose state.
In the APO office, Dean reveals that the communication hub is located on top of the Glenheim Tower, and says that the watchman can help. He also apologizes for killing Michael Vaughn and warns Sydney that his bosses have plans for her.
In Seattle, Dixon and Tom arrive at the tower and plug the access keycard in a port. As they uplink to Marshall, he discovers that many of the organizations in the database are part of global governments. Marshall is then locked out of the system and presented with a riddle. Sydney recalls that Dean mentioned a "watchman" who can help.
Sloane slips inside Dean's interrogation room. Dean says he has the access code and can help take down Prophet Five, but Sloane forces him to swallow a cyanide pill. Sydney discovers his corpse.
Sitting inside a car, Peyton and Ehrmann drink to her success. He confirms that she now has Dean's operations and warns her of double crossing them. Ehrmann gets out of the car briefly and meets with Sloane, who confirms the assassination. When Sloane asks when Nadia will be cured, Ehrmann says that they will need more from Sloane -and points out that Sloane now has hope for Nadia's return. Frustrated and helpless, Sloane watches him leave.
In Sydney's apartment, Jack helps Sydney build her baby's crib. Sydney says that taking down the 12 sources making up Prophet Five will be a challenge since they are embedded inside a global government. Jack remains encouraging and tells her that they've already started their long journey.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Rachel Nichols as Rachel Gibson
- Elodie Bouchez as Renée Rienne
- Balthazar Getty as Thomas Grace
- and Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
Special Guest Star
- Angus Macfadyen as Joseph Ehrmann
- Amy Acker as Kelly Peyton
- Tyrees Allen as Gordon Dean
- Jay Huguley as Dr. Peter Marks
- Keone Young as Professor Choy
- Alex Ball as Delivery Man
- Lorenzo Caccialanza as Chancellor
- Ali Dean as Arab Sheik
- Carl Gilliard as Agent #1
- Gordon Dean says, 'Get a pen. Write this down' These are the exact same words Sydney says to Dr Lee in 'Truth Be Told', the first episode of season one.
- Marshall says that Grace's suit looks good on him, and that blue's a good color for him. But the monitor feed is black-and-white.
- Althrough he never appeared in this episode prior airing spoliers indicated that Michael Vartan would be returnning to Alias In 5.7 Fait Accompli. It turned out that he returned in 5.9 The Horizon.
- At the begnning of the episode Sydney said she is having a baby girl, a few months before this episode aired Jennifer Garner announced that she was having a baby girl as well.
- "Burn In Hell" by Twisted Sister
- "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" by The Electric Prunes
- "1963" by Rachael Yamagata
- "Your Song" by Elton John
Allusions and References
- Sydney: Marshall counted 12 sources that make up Prophet 5, 12 dad.
- Jack: I know.
- Sydney: It’s like The Alliance all over again.
- Rachel: Marshall ran analysis on the card you retrieved.
- Sydney: He suspects it’s an access key to a secure network.
- Rachel: Now we just have to figure out which network… well at least there are only about ten billion secure networks in the world.
- Jack: Arvin good news, Sydney’s mission in Italy was a success
- Sloane: I already knew that.
- Jack: Did you...how?
- Sloane: Gordon Dean told me.
- Sydney: Oracle, come in. Do you have a visual?
- Rachel: Yeah, actually on Dean.
- Sydney: What’s he doing?
- Rachel: Eating dirt - I just hit him with a shovel.
- Sydney: A shovel…is he conscious?
- Rachel: Yeah, I think so.
- Sydney: Then hit him again.
|< Season 4||Alias Season 5|
|#01||Prophet 5||#06||Solo||#11||Maternal Instinct||#16||Reprisal|
|#02||...1...||#07||Fait Accompli||#12||There's Only One Sydney Bristow||#17||All The Time In The World|
|#03||The Shed||#08||Bob||#13||30 Seconds|
|#04||Mockingbird||#09||The Horizon||#14||I See Dead People|
|#05||Out Of The Box||#10||S.O.S.||#15||No Hard Feelings|