Out Of The Box is the 5th episode of Season 5 of Alias, and the 93rd episode overall. Sydney and Tom discover that Renée has stolen the cryo container, and soon find themselves under siege by a group of mercenaries who want the contents of the container. Meanwhile, Sloane takes matters into his own hands to get himself back into APO and continues his quest to find a cure for Nadia.
Renee Rienne steals a chemical from an army storage depot in Frankfurt while Jack meets Sloane in a restaurant. Sloane asks to be reinstated in APO so he can find a cure for Nadia, Jack says he's already made the request but a senator is blocking the request.
In Marseilles, Rienne administers the chemical to a man who's been cryogenically frozen. At the APO office, Dixon reports that the chemical is Atropine ZX, an experimental substance used to resuscitate gravely injured soldiers. The thief, who he's identified as Rienne by way of video footage, had also stolen the frozen body from DSR. As Sydney volunteers to speak to her, Jack privately asks Tom to keep an eye on Renee.
Syd and Tom meet Renee in Marseilles and return to her loft, where the now revived but disoriented man surprises them. He holds a knife to Renee's throat. They realize that the man is Luc Goursaud, Renee's father, and calm him down. Luc reveals that it was Aldo Desantis who had frozen him. Before he can speak about Prophet Five, Luc has a seizure and slips into unconsciousness.
Gordon Dean approaches Sloane and reveals the identity of Senator Lewis, who is refusing his reinstatement. At Dean's suggestion, Sloane wins his reinstatement by threatening the senator's child.
Jack gives Tom and Sydney the name of a doctor they could bring Luc to. Overhearing the name "Desantis," Rachel remembers that, while working for Dean, she had stored files on Desantis in a San Francisco facility.
Mercenaries converge on Renee's loft and pump gas into the vents. Tom makes his way out and plants a bomb in their van. In a flashback, Renee recalls that her father had once worked for Desantis, but they had become enemies.
Meanwhile, Dixon and Rachel go to the San Francisco facility and ask to be shown a storeroom, where they leave a case. Marshall's latest invention crawls out of the case: a spider robot with a tomographic camera. Marshall controls the device from a remote location, directing the spider to find and scan Desantis' files. Later, they learn that the documents detailed the manipulation of genetic and neural pathways. They also discover that the brain scans of Luc Goursaud and the man in the cryogenic chamber were not the same.
Tom returns to the loft and finds a beacon in Luc's cryogenic chamber. He and Renee use the beacon to alert APO. Syd learns about the beacon through Luc and discovers that he had guided the mercenaries to the loft. His cover blown, Luc takes Sydney hostage. When Renee and Tom return, they realize that Luc is not Renee's father. Suddenly, the building is blown apart and a helicopter picks up Luc.
Later, in a North Korea hospital, Gordon Dean meets man formerly known as Luc, referring to him as "Doctor Desantis." Desantis reports that the "woman" is now calling herself "Renee Rienne" and that she's working with the CIA. Dean assures Desantis that keeping an eye on her won't be a problem.
Sloane, his clearance granted, walks down the halls of the APO office.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Rachel Nichols as Rachel Gibson
- Elodie Bouchez as Renée Rienne
- Balthazar Getty as Thomas Grace
- and Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- Tyrees Allen as Gordon Dean
- Joel Bissonnette as Keach
- Jennifer Hetrick as Senator Diane Lewis
- and Patrick Bauchau as Dr. Aldo Desantis
- Patrick Gorman as Flashback Desantis
- Annie Quinn as Daughter
- Ashlyn Sanchez as Young Renee
- Sean Smith as Storage Manager
- Look closely: When Tom blows up the van outside Renée's apartment, you can clearly see wires attached to lift it in the last shot.
- Marseille is incorrectly spelled "Marseilles" with an S in the end. Although English allows the use of an S in the end of this word, there is no romanization problem (it is written using latin/roman letters without accents) and Marseille is a proper name (town name) and has only one correct spelling in French. In this case, the episode editor should have used the unique French spelling for this town name.
- Although this episode aired October 2005, it is set in 2006; as Renée told her father the present year is 2006.
- In the scene when Renée's father is bleeding from the ears, Syd said his pulse was all over the place. There is no way she could have known this in such short time.
- The location of the lobby was the same set as some episodes like So It Begins and A Dark Turn.
- Small surveillance robot shaped like a spider (and nicknamed Charlotte) that is capable of multi-level x-rays.
- "The City Lights" by The Umbrellas
Allusions and References
- Marshall: I hope none of you suffer from arachnophobia, ’cause this little six-legged freak (picks up the small robot he created) is not pretty, but she gets the job done. I call her Charlotte, for obvious reasons.
Reference to Charlotte's Web, a children's book by acclaimed American author E. B. White. First published in 1952, it tells the story of a barn spider named Charlotte and her friendship with a pig named Wilbur. The story has been adapted for film three times: 1973, 2003 and 2006.
- Jack: Think you got him?
- Tom: My mother always said if some one’s worth shooting once, it’s worth shooting twice.
- Jack: I’m sorry I never met her, she sounds like my kind of woman.
- Jack: You seem to be enjoying your freedom.
- Sloane: I was hoping to offer you more than prison food.
- Jack: I must confess I'd grown rather fond of the shepherd's pie... I'm assuming you didn't bring me here simply for the cuisine.
|< Season 4||Alias Season 5|
|#01||Prophet 5||#06||Solo||#11||Maternal Instinct||#16||Reprisal|
|#02||...1...||#07||Fait Accompli||#12||There's Only One Sydney Bristow||#17||All The Time In The World|
|#03||The Shed||#08||Bob||#13||30 Seconds|
|#04||Mockingbird||#09||The Horizon||#14||I See Dead People|
|#05||Out Of The Box||#10||S.O.S.||#15||No Hard Feelings|