I See Dead People is the 14th episode of Season 5 of Alias and the 102nd episode overall. Sydney and the others mourn over the deaths of Nadia Santos and Renee Rienne while Sloane is seeing visions of his deceased daughter. During an autopsy, a chip is discovered in Rienne's body regarding Andre Micheaux, stating Vaughn is still alive. Now Sydney must get to Vaughn before Anna Espinosa and Prophet 5 do or else Vaughn will be killed.
Plot Overview[edit | edit source]
At the APO office, Marshall reports to Jack that a microchip found in Renee Rienne's body contains encrypted data with an incomplete algorithm. He discovers that "Andre Micheaux" is etched on the microchip. Unbeknownst to them, their conversation is being recorded.
In Zurich, Peyton tells Sloane that Sydney is heading to Nepal to meet someone regarding the chip. When Sloane advises that Prophet Five send someone to intercept, Peyton introduces Anna - now Sydney's doppleganger. Sloane briefs her but comments that she's hardly Sydney and reminds her that she's dispensable. As Anna leaves, Sloane has a vision of Nadia, who tells him that he's just as dispensable.
At APO, Tom decodes a message hidden in a magazine. Rachel, feeling insecure, interrupts him. Tom assures her that she's a good agent.
Anna arrives in Nepal and deceives an escort expecting to meet Sydney. He tells her that Vaughn is excited to see her and his hideout is just a few minutes away. She kills him and gives his distinctive scarf to an accomplice.
Marshall discovers that the whole APO office is bugged. He meets Jack at a parking lot and shares the news that Sloane have placed the office on passive surveillance. They conclude that Sloane must have installed a backdoor access to APO's security system before his rights had been revoked.
Sydney arrives at the airport and is picked up by Anna's accomplice. Jack phones and informs her of the security breach and the possible intercept. When the impostor suggests that they help a stranded stranger, Sydney elbows him and tries to grab the wheel. The stranger fires gunshots at them and the jeep veers off the road and into a ravine.
Trapped under the jeep, Sydney watches as Anna takes the chip from her backpack. Anna says she's going to pay Vaughn a visit and sets the jeep on fire. Sydney escapes in time.
In Zurich, Sloane tells Peyton that Rambaldi was influenced by a 14th century cleric named Joseph Pinara and that he needs Pinara's manuscript to help him decode Page 47. He directs Peyton to a private bookseller in Geneva. When she retrieves the book, the clerk calls a superior and reports that someone is trying to make contact with him.
Anna arrives in Vaughn's hideout and tells him about the chip. Vaughn points to a scar on his shoulder, and says his father told him was from a bike accident. He lets Anna open the scar. Embedded is another chip with Renee's name on it. Combining the microchips together, they input the data in a computer and discover a map pointing to a Hamburg bunker. Vaughn suggests going with Anna, who immediately calls for transportation. Sydney arrives in Vaughn's hut to see the helicopter depart.
In the APO office, Jack tells the team that Vaughn is alive. He shows them a photo of Vaughn and Anna at the Hamburg airport, and says that he's with Sydney's clone.
Anna and Vaughn stake out a jewelry store near the bunker. When Vaughn suggests they do what they did in Cartagena, Anna says she'll follow his lead. Anna holds up the shop owner as Vaughn enters the bunker. As he picks up a file, Anna arrives and points a gun at Vaughn. She pulls the trigger -- but Vaughn had taken out the clip. They fight. Vaughn, weakened from his seclusion, falls first. As Anna is about to kill Vaughn, Sydney arrives and kills Anna.
In Zurich, Sloane tells Peyton that he needs to make peace with the past. He goes to a church with a Prophet Five guard and leaves a matchbook by the candles. As he leaves, Sark arrives to pick up Sloane's message.
Sydney and Vaughn realize that files contain Vaughn's father's research on Prophet Five. When Anna's phone rings, Sydney answers. Pretending to be Anna, she sets a meeting with Peyton. Before Sydney leaves, she embraces Vaughn and says goodbye once again. Later, Sydney, posing as Anna posing as Sydney, hops in the car with Peyton and hands her Renee's microchip.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Main Cast[edit | edit source]
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Rachel Nichols as Rachel Gibson
- Amy Acker as Kelly Peyton
- Balthazar Getty as Thomas Grace
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
- David Anders as Julian Sark
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Mia Maestroas Nadia Santos
- Ho-Kwan Tse as Nabin
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Once again, if you remove a full ammunition cartridge from a gun and hand it to someone, the weight will give away that the gun is empty.
- In the scene when the fake Sydney extracts the second half of the computer chip from Vaughn's chest in Nepal, we see Sydney digging around with tongs under his skin, find the chip, and slowly draw it from the wound to show the audience. We then see blood across the top of the chip but none on the bottom when Sydney turns it over and none on the tongs themselves.
Also, Vaughn claimed not to know the chip was in his body for the last 30+ years. With as many times as we've seen him injured and hospitalized over the course of the show, how would repeated body scans, MRI's, x-rays, etc. miss a foreign object planted so close to the skin's surface in such an accessible part of the body?
- In this episode, Sloane asks Peyton to retrieve a book from Geneva.
However, when Peyton arrives in the city to fetch the book, the caption and city shot shows Zurich.
- In the first shot of the baby on top of the washing machine, you can hear a baby crying, but you can clearly see the baby is happy and smiling, not crying. On the second shot however, the baby is crying.
- The first episode after Prophet Five that Vaughn is back for a full episode.
- Anna as Sydney was named Kelly on the mission
Aliases Used[edit | edit source]
Gadgets[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
Allusions and References[edit | edit source]
- Title: I See Dead People
This alludes to the movie, "The Sixth Sense" where a boy sees dead people as if they were living. He utters the famous phrase to the character played by Bruce Willis.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Sloane: What do you want from me Nadia?
- Nadia: I don’t want anything.
- Sloane: Why don’t you understand Nadia?... Every sacrifice I’ve ever made has been for the greater good.
- Nadia: Yet every sacrifice you’ve ever made, has come at the cost of someone else’s expense (touching the wound on her neck) Or have you forgotten?
- Sloane: Oh no, I haven’t forgotten, you are always on my mind… the irony is, for all those years I was worried for your well being, and now I realize, in the end I had no choice.
- Nadia: (laughing) You still belive that don’t you? That your actions are controlled by fate… that you were chosen, why dad? You must have asked yourself why would Rambaldi choose you, you’re not a man of honor, you’re not particularly courageous, you’re charitable but only when it serves your own interests, and last but not least, you murder the people you claim to love.
- Vaughn: Who are you?
- Anna: It’s a pity you’ll never know.
- Vaughn: Sydney and I never went to Cartagena. And just for the record, you’re a terrible kisser.
|< Season 4||Alias Season 5|
|#01||Prophet 5||#06||Solo||#11||Maternal Instinct||#16||Reprisal|
|#02||...1...||#07||Fait Accompli||#12||There's Only One Sydney Bristow||#17||All The Time In The World|
|#03||The Shed||#08||Bob||#13||30 Seconds|
|#04||Mockingbird||#09||The Horizon||#14||I See Dead People|
|#05||Out Of The Box||#10||S.O.S.||#15||No Hard Feelings|