Echoes is the 8th episode of Season 4 and the 74th episode overall of the show Alias. Sloane temporarily steps down as Director of his Task Force and gives Jack full authority over the next assignment, which involves Anna Espinosa, Sydney's old foe. However, Anna turns the tables on APO when she captures Nadia and forces Sydney to do her biddings. Sydney tells Nadia about Rambaldi's prophecy which dictates that two sisters will fight and only one will survive. Meanwhile, Vaughn visits Sark and tries to trick him into helping them to catch Anna. In the end, one of the sisters is seriously wounded by Anna.
Plot Overview[edit | edit source]
Before the team meets, Nadia gushes about Weiss to Sydney while Weiss moons about Nadia to Vaughn. Sloane recuses himself from the upcoming mission because it involves an operative that he is not authorized to engage. He puts Jack in charge and leaves the briefing. Jack says the target is Sydney's old nemesis Anna Espinosa, a former K-Directorate Agent and Rambaldi follower, presumed to be dead. Intel indicates that Espinoza is to receive something from an associate, Milos Sabine, in Brussels. While reviewing the files, Nadia gets lightheaded and walks out. Sydney, Dixon and Marshall are to observe the meet and bring her in if the opportunity exists.
At lunch with Nadia, Sydney talks about past encounters with Anna. Nadia says she saw something awful when she was connected to Rambaldi last year -- She had a vision that she and Sydney were aiming guns at each other. She pulled the trigger and shot Sydney, she says, who seemed to expect it.
Sydney takes a call - it's from Anna, who's actually sitting behind Nadia. She kidnaps Nadia and demands that Sydney pose as her in Brussels for the meeting with Sabine.
In Brussel, Sabine says he wants to get his money's worth before he gives her the item. He tells Sydney to kill Willem Karg, who's in a hotel bar, photograph the body as evidence and bring back his right index finger. If she's not back in 40 minutes, she won't get the package.
Sydney poses as a prostitute and lures Karg to go up to his room - where Vaughn and Dixon wait. They cut off his finger to save his life. She presents it to Sabine; he gives her the "last remaining sample."
Anna has her thug Mr. Turner brand Nadia with the Rambaldi symbol.
Marshall identifies the sample as the Dante Compound, a rare putty that when mixed with V/X gas and other nerve agents, will mutates them. Marshall believes Anna works for the Cadmus Revolutionary Front, an offshoot of the Covenant. They've been trying to acquire the compound for a year to make a chemical bomb. He suggests they talk to Sark.
Sydney doesn't think they should follow through on a plan to give Anna a replica of the Dante Compound because she may kill Nadia. Sloane says Anna won't kill Nadia - he says it's not her destiny. Sydney realizes this is about Rambaldi. Jack agrees that Sydney should meet with Anna.
They meet in a Beverly Hills boutique. Sydney gives her the compound. Anna gives syd a remote car key and tells her to go to the 4th floor of a parking structure across the street. Anna threatens Sydney, who starts a knock-down, drag-out brawl that ends in a virtual stalemate. Realizing that they're getting nowhere, they make the exchange. Sydney finds Nadia locked in a car trunk.
Vaughn visits Sark in the federal pen. Sark asks if he killed Lauren because of espionage or infidelity. Vaughn hits him and asks why the CRF has made repeated attempts to contact him. When Sark goes silent, Vaughn has him shipped to Alder Penitentiary, where he is to spend all his days in dark solitary confinement.
Sydney returns with Nadia. The surgeon says they can fix the brand. Nadia relates Anna says that she and Sydney will be torn apart. Sydney explains that according to their mother, the outermarkings of the Rambaldi symbol are her two daughters, the center is the object over which they'll do grave battle with each other. Only one of the daughters will survive. Sydney says some of these predictions have come true, but that she doesn't believe in it. The people who do, she says, are dangerous.
Jack injects Sark with a tracking device (and explosive) while he sleeps in prison. As Sark is transferred, the vehicle is attacked. - it's a set-up. And a man helps Sark escape.
Sydney hears chatter about a meeting between the CRF and an administrator of a Russian chemical facility named Vorich. Sydney thinks Anna may be there. Jack tells her to take Nadia for surveillance only. If Vorich is there, he may have a sample of V/X. Sloane is afraid that if Sydney and Nadia go on the mission together and Anna has her way, only one will return. Marshall tracks Sark to Johannesburg.
In Johannesburg, the team raids what they think is CRF headquarters, only to find Sark in an empty room guzzling champagne. He agrees to locate CRF leadership in return for something.
In Estonia, Nadia and Sydney find Vorich, who's quickly killed by Anna. Nadia battles Mr. Turner as Sydney chases Anna. The dude falls on his knife, Nadia twists it until he reveals in his dying breath why the CRF is assembling the bomb. Sydney think she's cornered Anna, but it turns out to be Nadia. Anna then shoots Nadia in the back. She falls as the life ebbs from her.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Main Cast[edit | edit source]
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Mía Maestro as Nadia Santos
- Greg Grunberg as Eric Weiss
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
Guest Stars[edit | edit source]
- William Morgan Sheppard as Milo Sabine
- Sebastian Roché as Willem Karg
- Nick Jaine as Dr. Jain
- Tom Waite as Turner
- Gina Torres as Anna Espinosa
- David Anders as Julian Sark
- Sven Holmberg as Stranger
- Scott Vinci as Waiter
- Darrel Guilbeau as Desk Clerk
- Paul Green as Prison Guard
- P. David Miller as US Federal Marshall.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This is the first episode to feature Sark since the season 3 finale. He will return roughly a year later in Bob and the final three episodes of the series.
- This is the first episode scine 1.8 Time Will Tell Anna was in.
- The Meaning of Rambaldi is finally explained in this episode.
- Vaugh Threathens Sark to Send Him to an a SuperMax Prison in wich he Spent the Rest of his Life being in a 24 hour Lockdown Solitary Confinement, wich may be a Reference to ADX, a SuperMax Prison in Colorado in wich Spyes like Robert Hanssen and Harold Johnson are held.
- Echoes was origninally intended to be the seventh episode of season 4.
Gadgets[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
- "Sunrise" by Norah Jones
Allusions and References[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- Vaughn: Which you took as a compliment?
- Weiss: I take everything she says as a compliment; she's got that great accent.
- Sydney: It's your lucky day.
- Vaughn: You get to live.
- Dixon: But we're going to need that ring...
- Sydney: And the finger it's on.
- Vaughn: We're old friends
- Sark: Actually, given our shared intimiteses with your late wife, I would go as far as to say we're family.
- Nadia: We're early.
- Sydney: Who says girls can't make it anywhere ontime?
|< Season 3||Alias Season 4||Season 5 >|
|#01||Authorized Personnel Only (Part 1)||#07||Detente||#13||Tuesday||#19||In Dreams...|
|#02||Authorized Personnel Only (Part 2)||#08||Echoes||#14||Nightingale||#20||The Descent|
|#03||The Awful Truth||#09||A Man Of His Word||#15||Pandora||#21||Search & Rescue|
|#04||Ice||#10||The Index||#16||Another Mister Sloane||#22||Before The Flood|
|#05||Welcome To Liberty Village||#11||The Road Home||#17||A Clean Conscience|