The Two is the first episode of Season 3 of Alias and the 45th episode overall. Sydney confronts the enigma that represents not remembering anything from the last two years of her life and what has happened to her friends and relatives in the meantime. She confronts Vaughn, who married when she appeared to be dead. She also learns that her father, Jack Bristow, has been imprisoned and isolated and that Arvin Sloane is a new man working as CEO for a philanthropic organization called Omnifam. Meanwhile, she is granted temporary CIA clearance on a case that may help her regain her memory.
Sydney is where we last left her, in a Hong Kong safe house. Vaughn tells her she's been gone for two years. Will survived the apartment fire, he says, but she died and her remains were identified. Vaughn's now a teacher, but the CIA sent him to take her back. Syd attacks Vaughn and escapes the safe house. She fights two CIA agents standing guard and Vaughn finally brings her down with a dart.
She wakes in the Stafford Naval Hospital. Dixon is there; he's now director of their division. Weiss calls Dixon away — he says Agent Scott Kingsley has the chip and is on a train to Avignon. He says the Covenant is moving to intercept and get the chip. A lead has placed a Covenant outpost outside Paris. Dixon returns and reveals that Jack has been in solitary for a year, courtesy of NSC Senior Director Robert Lindsey.
On train in Lyon, France, a gunman shoots and kills Kingsley. He finds the chip. It shows the schematics for an undetectable spy drone that, the CIA believes, could be used as a bio-weapon delivery system.
Sydney sees Marshall and Carrie, who is pregnant. In a meeting, Syd tells Dixon she was held captive in The Covenant's Paris base and heard Kingsley's name. Kingsley is just one of eight recent murders of CIA agents. Lindsey's adamant that Sydney go on this mission. Syd agrees on the condition that she gets to see her father. Lindsey agrees.
Syd tells a handcuffed Jack, who's been charged with resisting authority for contacting Irina (#6 on the CIA Most Wanted List), that she lied about The Covenant's Paris outpost in order to see him. He urges her to regain her CIA clearance and continue his research into her disappearance. He knew she was alive and has evidence. He also tells her that Vaughn isn't worthy of her grief. In a Paris hangar, Weiss leads Syd and small team looking for the chip. They are attacked. Weiss is knocked unconscious and his throat about to be slit by the man on the train. Syd saves him. She admits she was lying and now if she goes back, her clearance will be pulled. Syd must identify this man. Weiss advises her to see Sloane, who now runs the World Health Org. in Zurich and is a consultant for the CIA.
She barges into Sloane's office. He was expecting her and identifies the man — Gordei Volkov — a Russian hitman. Blaming him for her predicament, she threatens to kill Soane. He says he's been redeemed, that the Rambaldi device delivered a message of peace. He then gave the CIA info to dismantle two dozen terrorist cells. Syd doesn't buy it.
Finding an old contact, Syd discovers Volkov has a meeting in Prague. She ambushes him, blows up his car. In the ensuing melee, Syd stabs him and retrieves the chip as he dies. She returns to Lindsey, threatening to destroy the chip unless he releases her father. He acquiesces.
Vaughn meets Syd. She's angry with him for looking for closure. She says she would have had faith and waited. But now she realizes it would have been an absolute waste if she had.
Jack returns to the CIA and takes Syd to a storage room. He shows her videotape of a Russian diplomat named Andrian Lazarey. On the monitor, a blonde Sydney stabs the man in the neck, killing him.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Melissa George as Lauren Reed
- Greg Grunberg as Eric Weiss
- David Anders as Julian Sark
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- Kurt Fuller as Robert Lindsey
- Amanda Foreman as Carrie Bowman
- Mark Bramhall as Andrian Lazarey
- Oleg Taktarov as Gordei Volkov
- Michael Berry Jr. as Scott Kingsley
- Adam Alexi-Malle as Bernard
- Ashley Cusato as Susan
- Loren Avedon as Covenant Man
- Sam Ayers as Covenant Man
- Elea Oberon as Receptionist.
- There are over 15 names of "Alias" crew members from various departments listed on the "Agents Killed in Action" memorial plaque that Sydney and Jack view at 12:41. Most obvious is Scott Chambliss, production designer, whose name appears under Sydney's in a closeup.
- With the third season, David Anders was moved to a season regular. This meant that the character of Sark was essentially required to appear in virtually every episode, something that J.J. Abrams wasn't entirely in favor of. In fact, Abrams instigated that Anders be relegated back to a recurring role in Season 4. Sark does not appear in the third season opening episode.
- With this episode, Bradley Cooper, Merrin Dungey, and Lena Olin are no longer listed as members of the main cast in the opening credits. They are replaced by David Anders, Greg Grunberg, and Melissa George.
- Melissa George did not appear in this episode.
- Lindsay had Sydney listed as an enemy of state but was able to walk in the CIA without being stopped by secruiy.
- This episode has an audio commentary.
- After the Paris mission goes South,Sydney speaks to Weiss and tell him not mention their conversation, but the CIA would already know all about it because the satellite footage.
- first season Greg Grunbreg is listed as a main regular seasons 1 and 2 were returning and special guess stars.
- "Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle)" by Limp Bizkit (changed in Netflix version)
- "I Feel Love" by Blue Man Group (changed in Netflix version to "Stones and Bones & Silicone" by We Cry Diamonds)
- "On Saturday Afternoons in 1963" by Rickie Lee Jones (changed in Netflix version to "I Hurt Too" by Katie Herzig)
Allusions and ReferencesEdit
Sydney: Dad I don't know if I can explain what's it's like waking up and having everything be different. My friends are gone. I have no job. I have no home. Vaughn's married.
Jack: Vaughn what?
Sydney: He got married.
Jack: Michael Vaughn is just a boy who never was good enough for you.
Vaughn: We thought you were dead. They asked me to come back to to explain.
Sydney: Come back from what? What are you talking about? Vaughn.... Why are you wearing a that ring?
Vaughn: Syd since taht night.... you were missing. You've been missing for almost two years.
Vaughn: I choose not to stay with the CIA after your death.
Sydney: You're not with the agency?
Vaughn: No. I'm a teacher.
Sydney: Where's my father or..... or my mom... have you heard from her since Mexico City? Vaughn said Will's alive. If there was a fire in my apartmentt, if he thought I was dead, then how did Will survive? Where is he?
Sydney: And Francie is she dead? Did they find her body too?
Dixon: I know you have a million questions, but....
Sydney: I have alot more than a million questions! I which I only had a million questions!
Sydney: You lost weight.
Weiss: I gave up all the foods I enjoy. I'm miserable.
|< Season 2||Alias Season 3||Season 4 >|
|#01||The Two||#07||Prelude||#13||After Six||#19||Hourglass|
|#02||Succession||#08||Breaking Point||#14||Blowback||#20||Blood Ties|
|#04||A Missing Link||#10||Remnants||#16||Taken||#22||Resurrection|
|#05||Repercussions||#11||Full Disclosure||#17||The Frame|