Salvation is the 6th episode of Season 2 of Alias and the 28th episode overall. Sydney's trust in her father begins to fade. Meanwhile, Sydney and Vaughn may have been exposed to a deadly virus while in Taipei; Sloane, haunted by Emily's death, begins to unravel. Vaughn enlists Will to help research a case.
As Irina's trial nears, Sloane informs Sydney that Richter was infected by an Ebola-like virus that Sark has developed. Sark is studying three infected patients in a private Geneva hospital which Jack and Sydney, posing as a wealthy Southern patient and his daughter, must infiltrate to acquire the research.
Jack explains to Sydney that he never intended her to be a spy, that he only tested Project Christmas on her so she could be strong in a dangerous environment — but Sloane got to her before he did. She's dubious and is further angered when Irina pleads guilty and is sentenced to die in three days. Sydney, hoping to halt Irina's execution, writes Devlin a letter stating that Jack has deceived the CIA.
Later, Vaughn explains to Devlin that he's found Soviet standardized test from the 80s, similar to our own. He believes that Irina stole Jack's research and there may be Soviet sleeper cells here in the U.S. Devlin is doubtful. Vaughn hires Will as a freelancer to look into this issue.
On the plane to Geneva, Jack, who's aware of Sydney's letter, says that Irina's plea was a ploy to get Syd's sympathy. Syd says that her birth is his biggest mistake — it represents his gullibility. They arrive at the hospital incognito — on the operating table, Jack gasses the doctors, then downloads the research as Sydney extracts blood from a dying patient, who says the name Irina. Creating an explosion by mixing ammonia with iodine in a centrifuge, they escape to a helicopter on the roof. Jack explains that Irina had ordered Sark to infect her own operatives and use them as a test group.
Back in L.A., Sloane tells Jack that the mysterious wine was laced with VTX, a compound that counteracts the effects of sodium morphate — meaning Emily is alive or a rival wants the Alliance to think that Emily is alive and that Sloane is a rogue. Later, Sloane enters a church, believing he sees Emily. Jack says he suffering from guilt and says there's a way to put this issue to rest. Later Sloane disinters Emily's remains — her coffin is empty!
Sydney and Vaughn are ordered into quarantine because the strange device they'd seen in Taipei has been found to be the source of the virus. After a worrisome night together awaiting test results, Sydney is found to be negative. Vaughn's tests are less clear but he is later released.
Syd watches on closed circuit TV as Jack tells Senator Douglas during his inquiry that he loves Sydney despite his limitations as a father. Still, Jack will go to jail and Irina will be executed the next day. Sydney commandeers Douglas' limo and forces him to reverse the charges against both Jack and Irina by telling him that a Senator is working for The Alliance and she'll turn her evidence over to the FBI if he doesn't cooperate. It's a lie, but it works.
Meanwhile, at home, Vaughn exhibits bleeding fingernails, a symptom of Sark's virus.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Bradley Cooper as Will Tippin
- Merrin Dungey as Francie Calfo
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon (credit only)
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- David Anders as Julian Sark (credit only)
- Lena Olin as Irina Derevko (credit only)
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- James Handy as Arthur Devlin
- Amy Irving as Emily Sloane
- Stephen Markle as Senator Douglas
- Ira Heiden as Rick McCarthy
- Kevin Sutherland as Agent Blake
- Austin Tichenor as Dr. Nicholas
- Daniel Faltus as Jan Spinnaker
- Timothy De Haas as Dr. Lazar
- Clifford Olin as Cliff
- John Patrick Clerkin as Priest
- Glenda Morgan Brown as Flight Attendant
- Hope Allen as Waitress
- Mette Holt as Nurse
- Cassandra McCormick as Nurse
- John Koyama as Patient Zero
- Alex Morris as Homeless Vet
- Robert Martin Robinson as Doctor
- Michael Owen as OR Staff
- Although credited, David Anders, Carl Lumbly and Lena Olin do not appear in this episode.
- This is the second episode that was written by Alex Kertzen and Roberto Orci.
- Second episode directed by Perry Lang.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- "A Place Called Home" by Kim Richey
- "Blister In The Sun" by Violent Femmes
- "Go" by Andy Hunter
- "Violent Rain" by Gus
- Veterans Hospital - 1611 Plummer Street, North Hills, Los Angeles, California, USA
- St. John's Episcopal Cathedral - 514 West Adams Boulevard, Los Angeles, California, USA
Allusions and ReferencesEdit
|< Season 1||Alias Season 2||Season 3 >|
|#01||The Enemy Walks In||#07||The Counteragent||#13||Phase One||#19||Endgame|
|#02||Trust Me||#08||Passage (Part 1)||#14||Double Agent||#20||Countdown|
|#03||Cipher||#09||Passage (Part 2)||#15||A Free Agent||#21||Second Double|
|#04||Dead Drop||#10||The Abduction||#16||Firebomb||#22||The Telling|
|#05||The Indicator||#11||A Higher Echelon||#17||A Dark Turn|
|#06||Salvation||#12||The Getaway||#18||Truth Takes Time|