The Getaway is the 12th episode of Season 2 of Alias, and the 34th episode overall. While Alliance counter-intelligence head Ariana Kane tracks Sydney in order to catch her fugitive father, Jack elicits Irina's help in finding Sloane's blackmailer. Meanwhile, Sydney and Vaughn risk exposing their covers to SD-6 when they share a romantic dinner together while on a case in France.
Jack is attacked as he meets a contact in a darkened movie theater. As he flees on foot, Sydney pulls up and rescues him. He explains that Alliance counter-intelligence is after him because he's suspected of extorting $100 million in bonds from Sloane. Sydney's upset that he didn't tell her. Back at the CIA, Jack explains to Sydney the blackmail scenario involving Sloane and Emily. Kane is framing him, and is uncovering his secrets in the process.
At SD-6, Sloane offers Sydney a new mission: to retrieve the Triad's prototype quantum gyroscope missile guidance system. She and Dixon are to intercept Carl Shatz, the courier who is transporting the gyroscope from Berlin to a lab in east France. Vaughn's counter-mission for Sydney is to steal the gyroscope and pass it along to the CIA to create a defective one for SD-6 before she hands the device over. Vaughn will travel to France as part of an on-site team. During that time, Vaughn explains that he has been helping Jack for two weeks, upsetting Sydney, who explodes about that, the talks he has had with her mother, and even Alice. Vaughn tries to explain that he is only trying to make her life easier, to which Sydney replies, "I don't need you for that".
Sloane informs Jack about the tracking device implanted in his neck by The Alliance, so he had to tell Kane of his visit. Sloane says he trusts Jack and gives him a name - Jean Briault - an Alliance member he murdered when he was being considered for a partner position in the Alliance. He suggests the blackmailer might want revenge for the killing. Jack discusses this with Irina, admitting he needs her smarts. Irina says she needs Information Resources to pull everything they have on Briault. Meanwhile, Kane suggests to a doubtful Sloane that Sydney might be a double agent.
As Sydney prepares to leave for Nice, Weiss returns from his lengthy stay in the hospital. Dixon and Sydney later arrive at the airport, disguised as a priest and a punk, respectively. Sydney collides with Shatz and pickpockets the gyroscope. While the copy is secretly being made, Vaughn asks Sydney to dinner. She agrees, despite her misgivings. Back at SD-6, Kane learns that Sydney left the airport with a man that was not Dixon and has two agents track them.
Jack and Irina study the information relating to Briault and find that he traveled to Lima, Peru six times and each time declared $70,000 in cash. Still, it doesn't suggest a reason for revenge. Irina suggests that Jack find out where he stayed and pull the security tapes.
Sydney and Vaughn begin dinner awkwardly, but the date heats up when they agree to a romantic tryst. Just then Kane's men, who've learned that Vaughn is CIA, enter the restaurant firing. Sydney and Vaughn are chased down an alley where Vaughn kills both of them. Remembering the gyroscope, Vaughn says that they should give SD-6 the real thing so as not to arouse any suspicions.
Jack scans the security tapes of Briault's hotel in Peru and finds a shot of Briault — and Kane! He learns that the same day Sloane handed over the bonds, Kane opened an account in Monaco. If he can get into their network, he can verify her balance and prove she's the blackmailer. Kendall suggests that Jack let the CIA take care of it, but he refuses to wait.
When Jack arrives at SD-6 he logs in to the network and finds that Kane's account balance is zero. He's taken by SD-6 agents to be interrogated by Kane, who injects him with sodium pentothal — truth serum. But Sloane arrives, releases Jack, and holds Kane instead. Jack had sent Sloane an email, giving him an account of what he had found — Kane had deposited the bonds, but only long enough to convert them into cash, which she then withdrew. Later, Irina suggests to Jack that Sloane requested Kane because she was easy to frame.
Sydney tells Francie that nothing will happen with Vaughn. Later, Vaughn informs Sydney that if he tells the truth about the mission in his debriefing, he will be removed as her case officer. Sydney responds by stating that they work well together, and should stay together as a result. She hands Vaughn the gyroscope, she switched them after all.
Sloane meets with a man who has created a ring that will act like the tracking device in his neck. He's now able to move about freely. Sloane kills the man and travels to the Philippines, where he meets his wife. Their plan worked.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Bradley Cooper as Will Tippin (credit only)
- Merrin Dungey as Francie Calfo
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- Lena Olin as Irina Derevko
- Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- Terry O'Quinn as Kendall
- Greg Grunberg as Eric Weiss
- Amy Irving as Emily Sloane
- Faye Dunaway as Ariana Kane
- Ira Heiden as Rick McCarthy
- Courtney Gains as Holden Gemler
- Kevin Sutherland as Agent Blake
- Don Took as Agent Grey
- Phillipe Simon as Claude Rousseau
- Doug Kruse as Patton Birch
- Roger Ranney as Jonathan Potash
- Sonny Surowiec as Man in Leather Jacket
- Laurent Alexandre as Airport Security Guard
- Last episode featuring an SD-6 operation.
- Amy Irving is not credited until the final credits to avoid giving away any of plot.
- Greg Grunberg returns after being shot in the episode The Enemy Walks In.
- Although Bradley Cooper and David Anders are credited they do not appear in this episode.
- In Paris, the waiter makes a joke that Vaughn speaks French better than he does - Michael Vartan speaks French and was born in France in real life.
- First episode of the series Bradley Cooper (Will Tippin) doesn't appear.
- "Hella Good" by No Doubt
- "Guess I'm Doing Fine" by Beck
- "Salut Demeure" by Charles-Francois Gounod
Allusions and ReferencesEdit
- Sydney rescuing Jack at the beginning of the episode mirrors the events at the beginning of Truth Be Told.
- Jack Bristow: I didn't tell you because it didn't concern you!
- Sydney Bristow: If the Alliance thinks you're lying to them, they'll kill you. That concerns me!
- Jack: What concerns me is having them suspect that you're my accomplice. That's why I kept you out of it.
- Arvin Sloane: That was a misunderstanding. Dixon came upon Sydney as she was executing an operation that Jack had authorized.
- Ariana Kane: Yes, I read your report. I think either she was an accomplice to his blackmail or else the two of them have been up to something more... long-term. You must have noticed that Bristow frequently assigns his daughter to operations of his own design.
- Sloane: Sydney Bristow is an excellent agent.
- Kane: All the more reason he would enlist her help.
- Eric Weiss: Hey, you sure you don't want to talk about this?
- Michael Vaughn: There's nothing to talk about.
- Weiss: I share my fights with you.
- Vaughn: No you don't.
- Weiss: Yeah I do. Remember when Alan pissed in the living room?
- Vaughn: That was your dog!
- Weiss: Yeah, but I was angry about it and I let you know how upset I was.
- Irina Derevko: You said Sloane requested Kane to investigate.
- Jack: The one person who had an apparent motive for blackmail.
- Irina: Someone easy to frame.
- Sydney: (After a long pause sitting in the restaurant in France) I think wine would help the situation.
- Michael: I was just thinking the same thing.
|< Season 1||Alias Season 2||Season 3 >|
|#01||The Enemy Walks In||#07||The Counteragent||#13||Phase One||#19||Endgame|
|#02||Trust Me||#08||Passage (Part 1)||#14||Double Agent||#20||Countdown|
|#03||Cipher||#09||Passage (Part 2)||#15||A Free Agent||#21||Second Double|
|#04||Dead Drop||#10||The Abduction||#16||Firebomb||#22||The Telling|
|#05||The Indicator||#11||A Higher Echelon||#17||A Dark Turn|
|#06||Salvation||#12||The Getaway||#18||Truth Takes Time|