Spirit is the 10th episode of Season 1 of Alias. Sydney briefs her CIA handler, Agent Vaughn, on her recent captivity at SD-6 and is surprised when he unexpectedly gives her a Christmas gift. Meanwhile, Jack has to find a way to save Sydney when he discovers that Sloane has ordered her tortured and killed for being the suspected SD-6 mole. Will may be making the mistake of his life when he begins to research a name heard on a mysterious audiocassette -- SD-6.
After being captured, Sydney awakens in a dingy cell. She is brought to a torture room, but at the last moment, the interrogation/death by slow torture is halted and Russek becomes the target of SD-6 suspicions. Instead, he is the one tortured, and finally executed.
Sloane confides in Sydney about the intercepted communication from Switzerland, and that it turned out to be a message from Russek to K-Directorate. And while Sydney is glad to be alive, she is even more confused. She explains her narrow escape to Vaughn, who has no explanation.
With Christmas approaching, Vaughn gives Sydney a gift -- an antique frame. This gesture arouses jealousy in Will, though he can't say too much -- he has just begun an affair with Jenny, his assistant, which Sydney knows all about
For her next mission, Sydney is sent to Semba Island, just off the coast of Kenya. SD-6 is still trying to track down Ineni Hassan, and they believe that a forger on the island has created a new identity for the rogue arms dealer. On the island, Sydney discovers that Hassan has had plastic surgery, and now goes under the name Nebseni Saad.
Sydney hides this fact from SD-6, but Sloane already knows. He then instructs Jack to go to Cuba, where Hassan/Saad is now hiding. Sloane wants Hassan dead, though Vaughn proposes a counter-mission. Jack is asked to make a deal with Hassan: In exchange for Hassan's client list, Jack would then fake Hassan's death, which would stop SD-6 in their pursuit but also allowing Hassan to pass into the CIA's hands.
Meanwhile, Will studies the mysterious tape that was left in his car. With help from his audio engineer friend, Nevil, Will is able to discern some muffled dialogue. The person who killed Eloise Kurtz said the name "SD-6," revealing another piece to the puzzle.
Will researches the name, but finds only a single reference in a transcript from a lawsuit against David McNeil, an expert in computer encryption, who is now in jail for embezzlement. Will question's the lawyer, Robert Stoller, who says that McNeil only plead guilty after his wife killed herself, under questionable circumstances.
Will visits McNeil in jail, but the man seems genuinely scared at the name "SD-6." Refuses to talk, he demands that Will leave the lawyer alone. Now, Will is even more intrigued.
From Vaughn, Sydney learns that her father doctored the SD-6 computer logs. Jack made it appear that the intercepted communication from Switzerland was actually sent by Russek to K-Directorate. Vaughn then reveals that Jack is now being held captive by Hassan in Cuba.
Secretly, Sydney sets out to save her father. She is quickly captured, and brought before Hassan, just as Jack is explaining his unusual deal to the arms dealer. Hassan recognizes Sydney as an SD-6 agent, but is unaware of her connection to Jack.
Tempted by Jack's offer, Hassan needs him to prove that he is no longer loyal to SD-6. As a test, Jack must kill the captured SD-6 agent. A gun is placed in Jack's hand he takes aim directly at his daughter.
- Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow
- Ron Rifkin as Arvin Sloane
- Michael Vartan as Michael Vaughn
- Bradley Cooper as Will Tippin
- Merrin Dungey as Francie Calfo
- Carl Lumbly as Marcus Dixon (credit only)
- Kevin Weisman as Marshall Flinkman
- and Victor Garber as Jack Bristow
- Miguel Sandoval as SD-6 Agent Anthony Russek
- Scott Paulin as Robert Stoller
- Aharon Ipale as Ineni Hassan
- Christopher Thornton as Nevil
- Scotch Ellis Loring as SD-6 Agent Steven Gordon
- Sarah Shahi as Jenny
- James Warwick as Severn Driscoll
- Conrad Gamble II as Bodyguard
- Erica Inez as Hotel Manager
- Kevin McCorkle as Agent
- Don Took as Agent Grey
- Scott Vance as Security Section Agent #1
- Nancy Wetzel as Amy Tippin
- Number 47: Sydney 'mistakes' Severn Driscoll for the man from suite 47.
- This episode was nominated for the 2002 Hollywood Makeup Artist and Hair Stylist Guild Award for "Best Character Makeup - Television (For a Single Episode of a Regular Series - Sitcom, Drama or Daytime)".
- Carl Lumbly does not appear in this episode as Dixon is still in the hospital recovering from his gunshot wound.
- "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" by Freedy Johnston
- "Domino" by Thunderball
- "Santa's Dilemma" by Klyph Black
- Ambassador Hotel - 3400 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, California, USA
Allusions and References
- Will: Iron Chef in there needs me.
- Iron Chef was a Japanese television program in which a chef would challenge one of the show's Iron Chefs to a cooking battle. The show also had two US incarnations (Iron Chef USA & Iron Chef America).
- Sloane: Still, I could feel a darkness coming so I wandered around for a while. Ended up at the Jefferson Memorial - it's always my favorite one.
- The Jefferson Memorial is a monument in Washington, DC to Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States. This monument was raised after President Franklin Roosevelt's initiative.
- Sydney: I'm very sorry about the music.
- Driscoll: Excuse me?
- Sydney: When I drink too much, I play my music too loudly. Last night, I drank too much.
- Driscoll: I didn't hear any music last night.
- Sydney: That's impossible! You are the man from suite forty-seven?
- Driscoll: No, I wish I were.
|Alias Season 1||Season 2 >|
|#01||Pilot||#07||Color-Blind||#13||The Box (Part 2)||#19||Snowman|
|#02||So It Begins||#08||Time Will Tell||#14||The Coup||#20||The Solution|
|#03||Parity||#09||Mea Culpa||#15||Page 47||#21||Rendezvous|
|#04||A Broken Heart||#10||Spirit||#16||The Prophecy||#22||Almost 30 Years|
|#06||Reckoning||#12||The Box (Part 1)||#18||Masquerade|